PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Pfundt wins Devonport Gift EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Pfundt wins Devonport Gift EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Pfundt wins Devonport Gift EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Pfundt wins Devonport Gift EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Pfundt wins Devonport Gift EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Pfundt wins Devonport Gift EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Pfundt wins Devonport Gift EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Pfundt wins Devonport Gift EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Pfundt wins Devonport Gift EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pfundt wins Devonport Gift

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pfundt wins Devonport Gift Empty Pfundt wins Devonport Gift Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:57 am

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.examiner.com.au/news/local/sport/general/pfundt-scores-second-big-win/2036270.aspx

Pfundt scores second big win
DEVONPORT MEN'S GIFT BY PHIL EDWARDS
Yhe Examiner
30 Dec, 2010

LAUNCESTON'S Thomas Pfundt scored his second major Christmas carnivals victory with a great run to hold off the fast-finishing backmarkers and take out the 400-metre Devonport Gift last night.

Running from the frontmark of 36 metres, Pfundt held on in the sprint for the line as the field closed in with talented Hobart teenager Max Waldron finishing second and Burnie's Daniel Reeves third.

Pfundt's winning time was 45.70.

It was his third win of the season.

He won the Latrobe Gift in 2006 and took out the 200-metre event at last year's Devonport Carnival.

"It's something I've wanted to do for years after getting second here in 2006," Pfundt said.

"It's good to come back and go one better.

"I've struggled with injuries on and off for years so it's good to finally have a good season again."

Pfundt made the Latrobe Gift final on Boxing Day but said 200 metres was his preferred distance despite his success over 400.

"I used to be a bit of a 400 runner but I've never won a 400m final before so it's a good win to start with," he said.

Pfundt said he hoped his legs would hold out in the final straight.

"I couldn't see anyone coming into the finishing straight and I just sensed them coming up near the line but I didn't know how tight it was in the end or not," he said.

Pfundt said he had made finals in every event he had run so far this season.

"`My Latrobe Gift win was my first big one in 2006 but this one is still up there but it takes more out of the body than the 120."

Pfundt is trained by Launceston's Fay Denholm, whose stable of runners continues to have a most successful carnival series.Pfundt wins Devonport Gift Pfundt1

Last edited by Admin on Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

https://protrack.forumotion.com

2Pfundt wins Devonport Gift Empty Re: Pfundt wins Devonport Gift Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:11 am

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/worth-wait-for-gift/2036160.aspx

Worth wait for gift
BY MARTIN AGATYN
The Advocate
30 Dec, 2010

LAUNCESTON sprinter Thomas Pfundt continued the run of Northern victories in major races at the Basslink Christmas Carnivals Series with an all-the-way win in the $5000 Boags City of Devonport Gift at the Devonport Carnival last night.

Pfundt also qualified for the final of the Latrobe Gift on Boxing Day, which was won by fellow Launceston sprinter Ryan O'Halloran, but left all in his wake in last night's 400m blue riband event.

Starting off the front mark of 36metres, Pfundt was brilliant out of the blocks and made good use of his handicap, withstanding a charge from the backmarkers in the straight, to win from Hobart teenager and Tasmanian under 18 400m champion Max Waldon (20m) and Burnie's Daniel Reeves (32m).

Reigning Stawell Gift champion Tom Burbidge, of New South Wales, just missed out on a place after giving up 20 metres to the winner at the start.

The time for the final was 45.7 seconds and was faster than any of the six heats, with Pfundt qualifying for the final after also winning the fastest heat of the night in what was a preview of things to come.

The victory was a sweet one for 23-year-old Pfundt, who finished second in the same event in 2006 - a year in which he also won the Latrobe Gift.

"This is a race I've wanted to win for years and even more after I finished second in 2006," he said.

"I've struggled with injuries on and off a bit since then, so it's good to finally put in a good season again.

"I've made every final and placed in every final I've run in this season, so it's pretty pleasing."

"My best distance is 200m and I've never won a 400m at the carnivals before, so this is nice."

Pfundt said he was hoping his legs would hold out in a tight finish.

"When I turned into the straight I couldn't see anyone else, but I just kept going as hard as I could," he said.

The Launceston runner, trained by Fay Denholm, said last night's victory had made his season.

"I'm not even worried about Burnie now (Saturday's Burnie Gift) - I don't think I'll make the final," he said.

"If I make a semi-final I'll be happy."

The second night of The Eli Devonport Carnival will continue from 3pm this afternoon, with 72 events going through until around 9.30pm.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum