PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Coach Hannan wanted Sally from the start EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Coach Hannan wanted Sally from the start EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Coach Hannan wanted Sally from the start EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Coach Hannan wanted Sally from the start EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Coach Hannan wanted Sally from the start EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Coach Hannan wanted Sally from the start EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Coach Hannan wanted Sally from the start EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Coach Hannan wanted Sally from the start EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Coach Hannan wanted Sally from the start EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Coach Hannan wanted Sally from the start

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Coach Hannan wanted Sally from the start Empty Coach Hannan wanted Sally from the start Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 am

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/story/2011/09/20/sally-a-natural-says-her-long-time-coach/

Coach Hannan wanted Sally from the start SCN_21-09-2011_EGN_08_pearson21_t325
WORLD BEATER: Sally Pearson in action at the World
Championships in Daegu, Republic of Korea.

Sally tipped to be fastest yet

Mark Bode & Steele Taylor
Sunshine Coast Daily
20th September 2011

THE first time respected athletics coach Sharon Hannan saw world champion hurdler Sally Pearson, she knew she wanted to work with her.

It was March, 1999, and a 12-year-old Ms Pearson was competing at the Little Athletics state championships in Townsville.

"I was impressed. Her mum asked me to start coaching her straight away," Ms Hannan said yesterday at the State Government's Get Active Queensland Accreditation Program at the University of the Sunshine Coast.

"I just thought she looked like a fairly raw talent, and I didn't start coaching her hurdles until (she was) 14."

And the reason Ms Pearson wanted to compete in hurdles after focusing on the sprint events?

"She worked out the sprinters only got to train on Tuesday and Thursday, and hurdlers got to train Monday, Tuesday and Thursday - she would have trained seven days a week if I had let her," Ms Hannan said.

Fast forward 12 years and the pair are still together - and Ms Pearson is on the cusp of greatness.

She is the hot favourite to win the 100m hurdles at the 2012 London Olympics after a stunning performance at the recent world championships in Daegu, South Korea.

Her time of 12.28 seconds was the fourth fastest in history and many people, including her coach, believe she is capable of breaking the long-standing, drug-tainted world record.

Ms Hannan, for one, was not surprised by her arrestingly quick time at the words.

"I'm not really blown away," she said.

"I knew all along that she could run those sort of times, and I knew no one else in the world is capable of running those times."

Ms Hannan said her 25-year-old charge's dedication to training was what made her so special, along, of course, with plenty of natural talent.

She recalled how a teenage Pearson rarely missed training.

"She just had different priorities to a lot of kids," the coach said.

"Her priority is her sport, and everything else had to work around it."

Ms Hannan shared her coaching skills at yesterday's USC event, which provided free training for teachers and school sport volunteers.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum