PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
UK Middle Distance Athletes Sleep in Oxygen Tents EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
UK Middle Distance Athletes Sleep in Oxygen Tents EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
UK Middle Distance Athletes Sleep in Oxygen Tents EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
UK Middle Distance Athletes Sleep in Oxygen Tents EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
UK Middle Distance Athletes Sleep in Oxygen Tents EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
UK Middle Distance Athletes Sleep in Oxygen Tents EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
UK Middle Distance Athletes Sleep in Oxygen Tents EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
UK Middle Distance Athletes Sleep in Oxygen Tents EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
UK Middle Distance Athletes Sleep in Oxygen Tents EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

UK Middle Distance Athletes Sleep in Oxygen Tents

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-sport/2011/05/20/olympic-brits-living-in-oxygen-tents-reveals-jenny-meadows-115875-23142631/

UK Middle Distance Athletes Sleep in Oxygen Tents Jenny-meadows-pic-getty-104795178

Olympic Brits living in oxygen tents reveals Jenny Meadows

By Alex Spink, Athletics Correspondent
UK Daily Mirror
20/05/2011

Jenny Meadows has revealed that many of Britain's top athletes are spending half their lives in oxygen tents in preparation for the London Olympics.

Meadows, the World 800m bronze medallist, is one of 16 middle and long distance runners using the aid for 12 hours a day - and takes it everywhere she goes.

"I'm in the spare room sleeping at 3,000m altitude while Trevor, my husband and coach, is in another room," she laughed.

"He did try it but he said it made him feel a bit breathless. That's his excuse anyway. He doesn't really have a wife at the moment but that's dedication for you."

Meadows says she considered going abroad to train at altitude but opted to 'sleep high, train low' as she gets to stay in her own bed.

"It's like a tent that fits over a double bed," explained the 'pocket rocket', who won her opening 800m of the year at the Diamond League meet in Shanghai on Sunday.

"I make sure I sleep 9-10 hours and then in the middle of the afternoon I get another couple so I spend 12 hours a day in all in there.

"When I then go for a training session I really feel I can breathe so much easier as I have a lot more oxygen that I can use in my body.

"I'm running the same pace with a greater economy - or I can run a lot faster with the same effort."

The initiative has been driven by UK Athletics after seeing the benefits Mo Farah (below) and Chris Thompson gained from them at last year's European Championships.

Meadows added: "If somebody had said to me five years ago that I'd be sleeping alone in a tent every night I'd never have believed it.

"But we're always looking for a competitive edge and, actually, I feel this is just keeping up with technology and doing what everyone else is doing in the sport."

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum