PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Ohuruogu and Richards-Ross to renew 400m rivalry EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Ohuruogu and Richards-Ross to renew 400m rivalry EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Ohuruogu and Richards-Ross to renew 400m rivalry EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Ohuruogu and Richards-Ross to renew 400m rivalry EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Ohuruogu and Richards-Ross to renew 400m rivalry EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Ohuruogu and Richards-Ross to renew 400m rivalry EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Ohuruogu and Richards-Ross to renew 400m rivalry EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Ohuruogu and Richards-Ross to renew 400m rivalry EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Ohuruogu and Richards-Ross to renew 400m rivalry EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ohuruogu and Richards-Ross to renew 400m rivalry

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/13296262.stm

UK races for Christine Ohuruogu and Sanya Richards-Ross

BBC News
Thursday, 5 May 2011

Diamond League 2011Coverage: Fourteen meetings around the world from 6 May to 16 September. Live coverage on BBC TV, Red Button, Radio 5 Live and the BBC Sport website (for UK users only), which will also have live text commentary.

Ohuruogu and Richards-Ross to renew 400m rivalry _52548274_christine466
Ohuruogu (left) and Richards-Ross are keen to race each other again.

British Olympic 400m champion Christine Ohuruogu and US world title holder Sanya Richards-Ross will renew their rivalry in two UK races this summer.

The pair have nine major gold medals between them but didn't face each other in 2010 due to injuries.

Birmingham's Alexander Stadium hosts the first race on 10 July.

They will then meet again at the London Grand Prix at Crystal Palace (5-6 August), the last major event before the World Championships in South Korea.

Ohuruogu expects the competition in a World Championship year to be tough, and said: "The 400m was a bit of a weird event last year, with both myself and Sanya out for a majority of the season, and only four girls breaking 50 seconds.

"However, the most exciting thing was that 10 girls were within a second of each other and every race was very close.

"I expect it to be similar this year but everyone will be pushing that bit harder to get ready for the World Championships. At the moment, I'm just making sure I'm in the best possible shape as we get towards Daegu." she added.

The two athletes first met each other at the Crystal Palace National Sports Centre back in 2005, for Ohuruogu says both races will be special: "I have fond memories of both the Alexander Stadium and Crystal Palace, plus I love running in front of my friends and family."

She continued: "Since winning the World Champs in 2007 and Olympic Games in 2008 I always get a great reception in the British meets and look forward to the same in 2011. "

400m world champion
Richards-Ross is also trying to put a disappointing 2010 behind her but is relishing the prospect of renewing her rivalry with Ohuruogu.

She said: "Christine and I have met quite a few times but it's been a while since we raced in the UK, and now the fans have the chance to see it happen twice."

The American is also on her way back from a disappointing 2010 and has no concerns about facing Ohuruogu on home soil.

She added: "I am happy to be back on the track. My first couple of races have gone pretty well. I feel it will take me a few more to get back to where I want to be but I am looking forward to it.

"With Allyson Felix attempting the 200/400m double, Shericka Williams and Christine Ohuruogu, hopefully healthy, the fans are in for some fast times and fierce battles in the 400m this year."

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/london2012/8203-Ohuruogu-takes/article-3525914-detail/article.html

Ohuruogu out to show she still has what it takes

This Is Bath.com
Thursday 5th May 2011

CHRISTINE Ohuruogu is used to timing her run into form to perfection but such has been her anonymity in recent years, it’s easy to forget she’ll be Great Britain’s only track and field defending Olympic champion at London 2012.

Since roaring down the home straight in Beijing, Ohuruogu laboured into fifth place at the 2009 World Championships and only four times over 400m last season, such were her injury troubles.

Indeed, Ohuruogu has not ducked under the 50-second barrier since clinching Olympic gold and when it comes to this summer’s World Championships she’s well down the pecking order that contains the likes of American Debbie Dunn, Jamaica’s Shericka Williams and defending champion Sanya Richards-Ross.

Ohuruogu has come from relative obscurity to secure gold before – most notably at the 2007 World Championships in Osaka – but if she harbours hopes of defending her Olympic crown, 2011 must represent significant progress on the last two seasons.

“The 400m was a bit of a weird event last year, with both myself and Sanya Richards-Ross out for a majority of the season, and only four girls breaking 50 seconds,” said Ohuruogu.

“However the most exciting thing was that ten girls were within a second of each other and every race was very close.

“I expect it to be similar this year but everyone will be pushing that bit harder to get ready for the World Championships in Daegu in August.

“At the moment I’m just making sure I’m in the best possible shape as we get towards Daegu.

“Winter training has been hard work and at times painful but the hours I’ve put in, in both Jamaica and LA, will hopefully bear fruit later in the season.”

Both Ohuruogu and Richards-Ross will get the chance to lock horns on two occasions prior to the World Championships – at both of the UK’s Diamond League meets in Birmingham and London.

And Richards-Ross, who spent most of last season on the sidelines, is relishing the contest.

She said: “I am happy to be back on the track. My first couple of races have gone pretty well. I feel it will take me a few more races to get back to where I want to be but I am looking forward to it.

“2010 was a frustrating season! Suffering from several injuries and mishaps was very disappointing but I am 100 per cent healthy now and I hope to stay that way for the 2011 season.

“This season will be an exciting one in the 400m. With Allyson Felix attempting the 200/400m double, Shericka Williams and Christine Ohuruogu, hopefully all healthy, I believe the fans are in for some fast times and fierce battles.

There are also some fast newcomers that will be added to the mix. This will be a great season!

“Christine and I have met quite a few times but it’s been a while since we raced in the UK, and now the fans have the chance to see it happen twice as we’ll also be up at the Aviva Birmingham Grand Prix.

“I love racing against the best in the event as I know it motivates all of us to run our best races. That is what track and field is all about!”

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum