PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha Empty Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha Tue May 03, 2011 11:57 am

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.nairobistar.com/sports/sports/22891-rudisha-targeted

Rudisha Targeted

Olympic 1500m champion Kiprop to challenge world 800m record holding compatriot in Doha, Qatar.

BY REUBEN OLITA
Nairobi Star
Monday, 02 May 2011
00:05

THE 2008 1500m Olympic champion Asbel Kiprop has vowed to give his compatriot David Rudisha a run for his money during the Samsung Diamond League campaign which gets underway in Doha, Qatar this Friday.

Kiprop who skipped the final of the 800m during the Athletics Kenya/National Bank weekend meeting in Mumias said he is ready to face Rudisha who is the event’s world record holder and world athlete of the year 2010.

Rudisha opened his campaign in Qatar last year when he won a thrilling duel with Kiprop, recording a sizzling 1:43.0 and later went on to produce one of the finest 800m seasons in history.

He twice broke the 800m world record, first in Berlin in August when he clocked 1:41.09 to wipe out Wilson Kipketer’s 13-year old record. A week later he lowered the record further to 1:41.01.

Kiprop, whose participation in the Mumias meeting caught photo-journalists by surprise, said he only wanted to gauge his speed ahead of the Diamond League which was his priority. “I want to challenge Rudisha in the 800m in Doha. My decision to feature in the heats of the Mumias meeting was meant to confirm whether my speed can challenge the world beater in Doha,” he said.

Meanwhile poor weather spelt doom for athletes hoping to post impressive times in Mumias.

Athletes were forced to contend with muddy conditions with some events taking place under intermittent showers, thus making most of them return slow times that delayed their qualification for the World championships in Daego, South Korea in August.

Athletics Kenya public relations officer, Peter Angwenyi said the unfriendly weather made it impossible for athletes to compete effectively. He said it forced some top runners who had confirmed participation to skip the event.

Angwenyi said the runners have the opportunity to make up for the miserable weekend when they travel to Mombasa for the low altitude meeting on May 13-14 that will feature events ranging from 100m to 800m.

It was only the 1500 Olympic champion, Asbel Kiprop and Uganda’s world junior 800m bronze medallist, Annet Negesa who electrified the two day Mumias meeting by posting impressive times that were however, below the qualifying marks for the world championships.

Kiprop ran the seasons best 800m on Kenyan soil clocking 1:46.5 in Mumias. However, against all expectations he skipped the finals saying he was only trying to build his speed ahead of the Diamond League campaign in Doha..

https://protrack.forumotion.com

2Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha Empty Re: Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha Wed May 04, 2011 10:24 am

Youngy

Admin
Admin

Kiprop will have to wait before he gets a chance to take on Rudisha.

http://www.iaaf.org/news/kind=100/newsid=59896.html

Asbel Kiprop targets Rudisha 58116_full-prt
David Rudisha speeds to World record of 1:41.01 in the 2010 edition
of the Rieti meeting (Victah Sailer)

Injury forces Rudisha to withdraw from Doha - Samsung Diamond League

Doha, Qatar - Injury has forced 800m World record holder David Rudisha to withdraw from Friday's opening leg of the 2011 Samsung Diamond League meeting in Doha, Qatar (6 May).

Rudisha, the 2010 World Athlete of the year, is suffering from an injury to his left foot that prevented him from training over the past week, but the ailment is not considered serious.

A statement from Rudisha's management said:

“I am very disappointed not to be able to run at this meeting, where I have opened my summer racing season for the last four years,” said Rudisha, who opened his season at the IAAF World Challenge meeting in Melbourne on 3 March, clocking 1:43.88, the fastest in the world this season.

The Kenyan's physician described the injury as peritendinitis of the foot's flexor muscles of the left lower leg, but added that there is "No injury of the ankle, no stress reaction/fracture, and no cartilage injury."

Rudisha's injury setback is not expected to impact his scheduled race appearances later this month.

Kaki - out too
Double World Indoor champion Abubaker Kaki, one of Rudisha's chief rivals, has also pulled out of the 800m due to a small muscular injury.

A statement by Kaki's managment said:

"Kaki sustained a leg cramp while training which has revealed a small muscular injury. He has had an examination by a physio and has been told to take it very easy for the next week so the injury will not get any worse and has time to recover."

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum