PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Veronica Campbell-Brown opens up with a 400m PB EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Veronica Campbell-Brown opens up with a 400m PB EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Veronica Campbell-Brown opens up with a 400m PB EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Veronica Campbell-Brown opens up with a 400m PB EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Veronica Campbell-Brown opens up with a 400m PB EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Veronica Campbell-Brown opens up with a 400m PB EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Veronica Campbell-Brown opens up with a 400m PB EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Veronica Campbell-Brown opens up with a 400m PB EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Veronica Campbell-Brown opens up with a 400m PB EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Veronica Campbell-Brown opens up with a 400m PB

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Campbell-Brown-PRs-in-400-metres_8588670#ixzz1I7zd9yDq

Veronica Campbell-Brown opens up with a 400m PB Campbell-Brown-27_w370

Campbell Brown PRs in 400 metres

By Paul Reid
Jamaican Observer
Sunday, March 27, 2011

VERONICA Campbell Brown opened her 2011 outdoors season with a big personal best of 52.25 seconds over the 400 metres at the University of Central Florida Invitational in Orlando, Florida yesterday.

Campbell Brown, who was running competitively for the second time this season after winning the 60-metre dash at the Milrose Games in New York, was second to American Mary Wineberg's 52.00 second, while Jamaican Olympian Nickeshea Anderson was third in 53.93. Another Jamaican, Sheryl Morgan, took sixth place in 55.01 seconds.

Campbell Brown went into the meet with a personal best of 52.77 seconds set last year in Knoxville, Tennessee, and is the second fastest Jamaican woman over the quarter-mile this year behind Rose Marie Whyte's 52.16 seconds set earlier this month.

Sekou Clarke was fourth in the Men's 400 in 48.17 seconds ahead of Nickel Ashmeade, 48.99 seconds, with Steve Mullings seventh in 49.51.

National record-holder in the 110m hurdles, Dwight Thomas, also made his outdoor debut and was second in 13.49 seconds behind training partner, American Joel Brown, who won in 13.47 seconds (1.3 m/s wind), while Richard Philips was fourth in 14.06 seconds.

There is a strong theory that female sprinters respond better to a long to short program. Not sure if Veronica Campbell-Brown does a lot of over-distance work but it's hard to comprehend Veronica C-B opening up with a 52.25 quater mile off a short to long program.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

why

Anonymous

'There is a strong theory that female sprinters respond better to a long to short program.'

Can you explain that theory. Id be interested to know why.

Anonymous

I don't know why with any surety, but I guess it's along the lines of injury prevention and developing a base so as the athlete can handle a long season to fulfill commitments. The World Champs are in August so some of these girls will be competing for the next six months give or take a few weeks off.

I remember Charlie Francis suggesting that he found he got better results when he reverted to a long to short program for women sprinters.

We might need to ask Veronica Campbell-Brown's coach, or any number of coaches who are encouraging athletes to do more - longer, aerobic based work.

Anonymous

[quote="youngy"]
I don't know why with any surety, but I guess it's along the lines of injury prevention and developing a base so as the athlete can handle a long season to fulfill commitments. The World Champs are in August so some of these girls will be competing for the next six months give or take a few weeks off.

I remember Charlie Francis suggesting that he found he got better results when he reverted to a long to short program for women sprinters.

We might need to ask Veronica Campbell-Brown's coach, or any number of coaches who are encouraging athletes to do more - longer, aerobic based work.

That would be a good read Youngy, could you possibly track down the article of long to short programming in women sprinters and preventing injury?

Anonymous

When I write it, I will forward it on.

interest

Anonymous

So does CF suggest that a male sprinters body is more durable and tolerable of the higher neurologicial demands of a short-long program... are is he suggesting females do not have the aerobic base fitness levels required to sustain peak performance for the duration of the season? or both?

Anonymous

interest wrote:So does CF suggest that a male sprinters body is more durable and tolerable of the higher neurologicial demands of a short-long program... are is he suggesting females do not have the aerobic base fitness levels required to sustain peak performance for the duration of the season? or both?

I might have to look at my CF seminar notes as I can't recall the exact reasons why Charlie Francis found the long to short to be a 'better' option for some women. But what you have offered seems a sound basis for this approach.

T Noakes

Anonymous

I think the thought process would be in line with women needing better SE qualities due to reaching a lower maximal velocity than the men, and hitting peak MV earlier on in the race (100&200).

I would suggest this is why many top male sprinters are looking to incorporate the 400 into their program as the 'strength' which is being developed, maintaining the upright posture while at MV etc, is vital when trying to compete with Bolt/Gay. Bolt/Gay can maintain low .8x splits from 50-60 onwards per 10m segment in the 100 and if you cant hit splits similar to these and maintain, you'll struggle.

I dont think its the right way for all athletes to train, but it seems to be 'catching on' in the elite arena.

VCB's speed is obviously solid any day of the week, and espcially after her WIC Gold, but perhaps she is thinking she cant hold her splits as well as she would like in the 100. Hasn't seemed to be an issue with her for the 200 over the past 2 Olys!

interest

Anonymous

'I would suggest this is why many top male sprinters are looking to incorporate the 400 into their program as the 'strength' which is being developed, maintaining the upright posture while at MV etc'

So to summarise, short-long for males with strength being developed by doing 400s at start of season. Doesnt that just contradict the purpose of doing a S-L?

I know a few coaches out there do short-long with their group of athletes, would be good to get their oppinion on why or how they go about implementing the program. I would imagine it would be a case of matching up the correct program with each individual athlete - depending on where their strength and weaknesses lay?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum