PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Henley Gift Review article - Southern Times Messenger EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Henley Gift Review article - Southern Times Messenger EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Henley Gift Review article - Southern Times Messenger EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Henley Gift Review article - Southern Times Messenger EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Henley Gift Review article - Southern Times Messenger EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Henley Gift Review article - Southern Times Messenger EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Henley Gift Review article - Southern Times Messenger EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Henley Gift Review article - Southern Times Messenger EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Henley Gift Review article - Southern Times Messenger EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Henley Gift Review article - Southern Times Messenger

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

My Henley carnival review article is in the Southern Times Messenger as well as a couple of the other local papers. Nice picture of Sue Turner running at SANTOS accompanies the article.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be in the Western Weekly nor the Coastal (Glenelg/Brighton) editions.

The original article is below. It's been edited for the paper for space purposes.

Henley Gift Review
Adelaide teenager Oliver Callahan demonstrated the benefit of a solid pre-season by blitzing the field to win the 120 metre Henley Gift at the opening South Australian Athletic League carnival on Friday night.

After being penalised for breaking at the start, Callahan, running off 6.50 metres, finished a metre clear of Brighton’s Connor Verrall (8.75m) and the self-trained David Gross (9.25m) in 12.78secs.

The Western District Club athlete said he remained confident despite the penalty, because he had enjoyed an injury-free preparation under coach Debbie Meich.

“This vindicates all the hard work during the winter” Callahan said.

“Debbie has organised a great team around me with guys like Tony Checker organising my strength and conditioning, so I knew I had the form to go well.”

A state junior long jump champion, Callahan will now focus on qualifying for the 2017 national athletic championships before setting himself for the Bay Sheffield.  

The recent announcement that the Women’s Bay Sheffield will carry prizemoney of $20,000, has added an extra dimension to the lead-up Womens’ Gifts.

In the Henley Women’s Gift, Coastals’ athlete Kate Monks made the most of her 13 metre handicap, breaking the meet record in winning by 2 metres from stable mate Jessica Williams (11.0m) and backmarker Amie Mittiga (5.50m).  

Monks’ recorded 13.99secs, the first time 14 seconds has been broken in a Women’s Henley Gift.

Earlier in the night, Monks’ stablemate, Hunter Rubino took home the first sash of the season, when he triumphed in the Open 800 metres.

College Track Club’s Connor Verrall collected his first sash under new coach Dylan Hicks, taking out the 400m Open. Czenya Cavouras won the Women's 400m.

A couple of teenage athletes making their SAAL debut could not have been more impressive in two of the 400 metre events. Nairn Bremer footballer John Evans 19, stormed around the field to take the tape in the Novice 400m from Camden junior Matt Learhinan, while 13yo Lachlan Grubb dominated the Under 14’s 400m.

Coach Charles Sheffield enjoyed a great start with his new ‘WASP’ stable with Brayden Thomas winning the Under 18’s 120 metres and Liana Channon finishing 2nd in both the Under 18 Girls’ 120m metres and the Under 14’s 400m.

The Under 18 Girl’s 120m saw a win to the much improved Lakara Stallan, continuing the great record in SAAL junior events for coach Gary Thompson.

Both Over 35’s events went to Team Townley athletes with Sue Turner winning the 120m and Gino Geracitano holding on from a fast finishing Salvador Jurado in the 800m.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum