PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Stangewitz didn't win his heat but he wins the Classic - Camden Review 2016 EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Stangewitz didn't win his heat but he wins the Classic - Camden Review 2016 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Stangewitz didn't win his heat but he wins the Classic - Camden Review 2016 EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Stangewitz didn't win his heat but he wins the Classic - Camden Review 2016 EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Stangewitz didn't win his heat but he wins the Classic - Camden Review 2016 EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Stangewitz didn't win his heat but he wins the Classic - Camden Review 2016 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Stangewitz didn't win his heat but he wins the Classic - Camden Review 2016 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Stangewitz didn't win his heat but he wins the Classic - Camden Review 2016 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Stangewitz didn't win his heat but he wins the Classic - Camden Review 2016 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stangewitz didn't win his heat but he wins the Classic - Camden Review 2016

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

A change of tactics from heat to final proved a masterstroke for Sellicks Beach electrician Jake Stangewitz as he hung on to win an exciting 37th City of Torrens 400 Metres Camden Classic on Sunday.

Stangewitz only qualified for the final as a fastest ‘loser’ when he was beaten by Victorian Jack Doderico in the fifth heat after leaving his run too late. It was the first time a non-heat winner has won the state’s most prestigious 400m event since Peter Crisp in 1989.

The Southern District’s sprinter started more aggressively in the final from his 23m handicap, charging to the front before the turn and opening up a decisive lead to win in 47.59secs from Bryce Watkins (15m) and Deng Bulabek (23m).

The final was dominated by the state’s best 800m athletes with Dylan Stenson, Harry May, Sam Russell and Watkins all qualifying after strong heat wins. Meanwhile Stangewitz had entered the race off the back of some impressive sprint form including a win over 200m at Tea Tree Gully a fortnight ago.

The Aldinga footballer conceded he was worried about getting caught back in the pack and being over-run by pre-race favourite Stenson.

“I was absolutely terrified” he said.

“I’ve learned from previous finals that I had to get to the front and stay on the inside.”

It was Stangewitz’s first podium finish from four Camden finals and the first win for his coach Ali Saliu.

At 41, Mother-of-four Katherine Dini (42m) became the oldest winner of the Women’s Classic when she stormed away from Karen Long (46m) and Teagan Kustermann (36m) to win in 53.80secs.

After finishing 2nd in the 2002 Classic, Dini left the sport to concentrate on her family and her works as an optometrist. The Jon Anderson coached athlete returned this season after more than a decade away to win the biggest race of her career.

Another 41-year-old, Tim Johnson wound back the clock to win the 120m Open Gift. Seventeen-year-old runner-up Lewis Abdul hadn’t even been born when Johnson last won the Gift in 1998.

Backmarker Jacob Cocks (90m) worked his way through the field with a well-judged race to take out the 1600m Open from Flinders’ Lachlan Scott (98m) and McKinnon Parade’s Corey Watkins (135m).

Seacliff beach sprinter Lily Drummond won her first junior sprint since 2013 when she took out the Under 20 Girl’s 120m. In the Under 20 Boy’s 120m, Somerton Park’s Tom O’Malley returned to the track where he made his debut in 2012 to win his first SA Athletic League sash. O’Malley beat his stablemate Alex Martini who later in the afternoon romped in the Under 17’s 400m in 50.80secs.

Camden’s Xavier Robins won his first sash taking out the under 14’s 120m from stablemate Bailey Giles.

Coastals Athletic Club won two races with Scarlett Hosking (120m Women’s) and Hunter Rubino (800m Novice) while Ali Saliu’s Southern stable enjoyed a treble with Classic winner Stangewitz, Over 35’s 400m winner Salvador Jurado and Meg Bentley first home in the Under 17 Girl’s 400m.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

2Stangewitz didn't win his heat but he wins the Classic - Camden Review 2016 Empty SAAL results Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:09 am

Anonymous

Youngy

Admin
Admin

Thanks Stokesy - you're right on it. I didn't even know they were available yet.

Youngy

Admin
Admin

Apologies to Luke Buchanan & the Coastals' Squad.

I forgot to mention that Katherine Dini is a member of the Coastals Club. So in effect they did enjoy a treble at Camden, with Hunter Rubino & Scarlett Hosking.

Writing the article at 2.30am I am bound to forget something. However I do concede that's a bad mistake to make.

PY

Anonymous

Hey Youngy- no problems there- mistakes happen.

FYI- the Coastals runners are now coached by a group of coaches including Luke Buchanan, John Anderson, Mark Williams and myself.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum