PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
18 year old Adam Gemali excited at racing Bolt & Blake in London EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
18 year old Adam Gemali excited at racing Bolt & Blake in London EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
18 year old Adam Gemali excited at racing Bolt & Blake in London EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
18 year old Adam Gemali excited at racing Bolt & Blake in London EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
18 year old Adam Gemali excited at racing Bolt & Blake in London EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
18 year old Adam Gemali excited at racing Bolt & Blake in London EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
18 year old Adam Gemali excited at racing Bolt & Blake in London EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
18 year old Adam Gemali excited at racing Bolt & Blake in London EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
18 year old Adam Gemali excited at racing Bolt & Blake in London EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

18 year old Adam Gemali excited at racing Bolt & Blake in London

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1665676/Gemili-savours-prospect-of-clash-with-Caribbean-gi

Gemili savours prospect of clash with Caribbean giants

Reuters
sbs.com
4 Jul 2012

18 year old Adam Gemali excited at racing Bolt & Blake in London 2012-07-03T194332Z_1_CBRE8621ISS00_RTROPTP_2_BRITAIN
Adam Gemili reacts after realising he has qualified to represent Britain at this summer's Olympic Games following the men's 100 metres final at the British Olympic athletics trials at the Alexander Stadium in Birmingham, central England, June 23, 2012. REUTERS/Phil Noble

LONDON (Reuters) - Adam Gemili, the youngest member of the British athletics team, is savouring the prospect of a clash with the cream of the Caribbean sprinters at the London Olympics opening this month.

After a meteoric rise, the 18-year-old is currently the second fastest 100 metres man in Europe this year behind France's European champion Christophe Lemaitre with a time of 10.08 seconds.

On Tuesday after he was named in the British track and field team, Gemili said he felt privileged to be part of a field which will include Jamaica's defending champion Usain Bolt, world gold medallist Yohan Blake and former world record holder Asafa Powell.

"I feel privileged that I've earned a place and will be able to line up against them and be racing them," Gemili told reporters at the Team GB headquarters in Stratford, a javelin throw away from the Olympic park.

"They are the best at what they do and hopefully I'll aspire to run the times they run."

The London-born sprinter won praise from UK Athletics head coach Charles Van Commenee, who said he had no concern the Olympic Games would be too big an occasion.

"Adam is bright and level-headed and he can look after himself. He has a good coach and a stable family so I have no concerns," Van Commenee said.

Gemili, who will compete in the world junior championship in Barcelona this month, was a promising soccer player who spent time at Chelsea's academy as a defender.

He did not realise his full potential until he began competing for his local club Blackheath and Bromley Harriers and became one of the fastest young athletes in Britain.

"I didn't realise how fast I was or how fast I could be. I knew I had pace playing football," he said.

"I competed for my school and used to win local competitions and be the best in the area, but I never expected it to be on this scale that I'd run.

"I'm improving a lot and that 10.08 seconds race was quite scrappy. I've made a lot of changes and improvements and if I keep improving then hopefully we could see some quicker times."

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum