PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Asafa Powell blames jetlag for loss to resurgent Gatlin EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Asafa Powell blames jetlag for loss to resurgent Gatlin EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Asafa Powell blames jetlag for loss to resurgent Gatlin EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Asafa Powell blames jetlag for loss to resurgent Gatlin EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Asafa Powell blames jetlag for loss to resurgent Gatlin EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Asafa Powell blames jetlag for loss to resurgent Gatlin EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Asafa Powell blames jetlag for loss to resurgent Gatlin EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Asafa Powell blames jetlag for loss to resurgent Gatlin EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Asafa Powell blames jetlag for loss to resurgent Gatlin EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Asafa Powell blames jetlag for loss to resurgent Gatlin

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Oh-no--Asafa----Sprinter-blames-jetlag-for-loss-to-resurgent-Gatlin_11454130#ixzz1unDE2BlN

Oh no, Asafa! - Sprinter blames jetlag for loss to resurgent Gatlin

Jamaican Observer
Saturday, May 12, 2012

DOHA, Qatar (CMC) — Jamaican sprinter Asafa Powell blamed jetlag for his loss to resurgent American star Justin Gatlin after he conceded an early-race lead to finish second in the 100 metres at the season-opening Diamond League meet here yesterday.

The 29-year-old, who has never won a major title, had a fantastic start and seemed to have the race won after 75 metres at the Qatar Sports Club.

However, Gatlin produced a late burst to nip Powell on the line and take victory in a time of 9.87 seconds.

"The jetlag is in my legs. I tried to go, but my legs just wouldn't go there," said, Powell, who was timed at 9.88 seconds.

"I'm still happy with the time. It was an OK race, considering that I've only been here two days, travelling from Jamaica."

The race was Powell's first of what is expected to be a crucial season, with the London Olympics running off in July. For all his success, he is still without an individual Olympic medal.

On Friday, fellow Jamaican Lerone Clarke clocked a personal best 9.99 seconds to be third, while another Jamaican Nesta Carter trailed in fifth in 10.05.

Meanwhile, Olympic and former World champion Melaine Walker stormed to a world-leading time in the women's 400 metres hurdles.

The 29-year-old, who could only manage silver at the Daegu World Championship last year, clocked 54.62 seconds to finish ahead of fellow Jamaican Kaliese Spencer in 54.99.

Another Jamaican former World champion, Brigitte Foster-Hylton, was also in winners' row as she won the 100 metres hurdles in 12.60 seconds.

The win was her second straight following her triumph at the JN Invitational in Kingston last week.

There was no such luck for Olympic and World 200 metres champion Veronica Campbell-Brown who was nipped by American Allyson Felix in the 100 metres.

Felix got home in 10.92 seconds with Campbell-Brown behind her in 10.94.

Olympic champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce finished third in 11 seconds flat.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

COMMENTS (10)

There is a lot of Powell bashing on here. We seem to believe that Powell owes us something. We neglect that he is our very JA son and bro. If we don't give him the love, support and encouragement...who will? The last thing a man needs when he's down is more kicking. No one is blind to his mental challenge, but that's HIS nemesis. Everyone has their nemesis. Mine is i'm too kind. His is a mental problem. What he needs is encouragement...not to be put down. Rally round our own JA. One Love
San Patrek
5/13/2012

Excuses excuses excuses . i am tired of them.
you are not as good as you were once
just admit it
put up or shut up
Winston Campbell
5/12/2012

Always the same story with Asafa. He gets a good start but when someone is hot on his heels he just gives up. The true nature of a man can only be measured when he faces adversity...Asafa is a coward!
John Smith
5/12/2012

That wasn't jet-lag, that was fear and anxiety. As is usual, he wanted to end the race before the end.
A Sil
5/12/2012

Oh no Asafa, say it ain't so. Asafa is a joke, even without Bolt and Tyson Gay, he still can't win a race. He needs a new coach, a psychologist and some good prayers. His time is running out as he is aging and soon Lerone Clarke will pass him. This guy makes so much promises and excuses, he pulled out of the Jamaica invitational because he was afraid to face Blake. Maybe it's time for him to try the 110m hurdles.
Wayne Henry
5/12/2012

So only you had jet lag?
Vincent Murray
5/12/2012

I watched the race and you did what you have always done, run 75meters then cruise 25m. Once Gatlin caught up wih you you did what you always do, lose your form, your arms top pumping and you lean for the line.
Asafa may need to be fitted with blinkers so he cannot see who is on either side of him and let him focus on the finish line.
Jet lag mi leg you need mental toughness sir, you are a good athlete but will miss greatness if you do not start winning tough races
Jay Brown
5/12/2012

I'll always be a fan of Asafa Powell and I am forever grateful for his contribution to the sprint resurgence in Jamaica. Having said that, my only wish is he doesn't offer any excuses when he doesn't win a race. Professionals understand that the fans aren't interested in excuses so usually don't offer any but instead congratulate the winner and pledge to give a better effort next time.
Chris Gray
5/12/2012

This time I tend to believe Asafa that jet lag is to be blame. Now if he get beaten again like this that will be another question.
Aeis Green
5/12/2012

Asafa we don't wanna hear any excuses just go and win a major title!!
Top Rank
5/12/2012

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum