PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Aussie Sally is World Athlete of The Year (so is Usain Bolt) EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Aussie Sally is World Athlete of The Year (so is Usain Bolt) EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Aussie Sally is World Athlete of The Year (so is Usain Bolt) EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Aussie Sally is World Athlete of The Year (so is Usain Bolt) EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Aussie Sally is World Athlete of The Year (so is Usain Bolt) EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Aussie Sally is World Athlete of The Year (so is Usain Bolt) EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Aussie Sally is World Athlete of The Year (so is Usain Bolt) EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Aussie Sally is World Athlete of The Year (so is Usain Bolt) EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Aussie Sally is World Athlete of The Year (so is Usain Bolt) EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Aussie Sally is World Athlete of The Year (so is Usain Bolt)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Anonymous

http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/gala/2011/newsid=62919.html

Saturday, 12 November 2011
Bolt and Pearson are World Athletes of the Year – 2011 World Athletics Gala

Monte Carlo - Usain Bolt (JAM) and Sally Pearson (AUS) were named the Male and Female World Athletes of the Year for 2011 by IAAF President Lamine Diack earlier today.

Bolt, who won the award for the third time, and Pearson, a first-time nominee and winner, will receive their trophies and US$100,000 prizes officially this evening at the 2011 World Athletics Gala, held at the Salle des Etoiles of the Sporting Club d’Eté.

The 2011 World Athletics Gala will be hosted by International Athletic Foundation (IAF) Honorary President HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco and IAF & IAAF President Lamine Diack, who will each present the awards.

Bolt, 25, successfully defended his title in the 200m at the World Championships in Daegu clocking 19.40, the second fastest performance of the year. He concluded the Championships by anchoring a Jamaican quartet to a 37.04 World record in the 4x100m Relay and ended the season undefeated in four 200m races. He was also the 2011 world leader in the 100m at 9.76, and won five of his six races over the distance.

Pearson, also 25, dominated the women's 100m Hurdles this year, winning ten of her 11 competitions while producing seven of the season's quickest 11 performances. The highlight was her sensational 12.28 clocking to take the World title, making her the fourth fastest woman in history with the fastest performance in nearly two decades.

"This season was a really trying season for me, I really had to work hard and stand up my game,” said Bolt, who was also named Athlete of the Year in 2008 and 2009.

“There were some close races this season, I really had to push myself. So this (award) really means a whole lot to me. Because I really came out there hard this year, and all the hard work I put in paid off."

"It was just such an honour to be in the top ten this year,” said Pearson, who like Bolt was a World Youth champion in 2003. “To be able to win this for my country and for my region Oceania means a lot and hopefully will inspire junior athletes to stay in athletics.”

“It was a little surprising that I won," Pearson said, speaking highly of her co-finalists for the year’s top honour. "Vivian (Cheruiyot) was a three-time World champion and Valerie (Adams) just dominates every time she’s out there. She’s the role model athlete everyone should look up to."

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum