PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Powell says he'll keep going until his time comes EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Powell says he'll keep going until his time comes EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Powell says he'll keep going until his time comes EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Powell says he'll keep going until his time comes EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Powell says he'll keep going until his time comes EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Powell says he'll keep going until his time comes EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Powell says he'll keep going until his time comes EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Powell says he'll keep going until his time comes EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Powell says he'll keep going until his time comes EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Powell says he'll keep going until his time comes

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20111008/sports/sports1.html

'I'll continue until my time comes' - Powell coy on swansong

Andre Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter
The Jamiaca Gleaner
Saturday October 8, 2011

Powell says he'll keep going until his time comes Asafa20080710w

ASAFA POWELL, the 2011 Diamond League 100m champion and former world record holder, is not ruling out the possibility of next year's Olympic Games in London being his last, but at the same time is not quite ready to put a timeline on his swansong.

By the time the 2012 Olympic Games start in July next year, Powell will be a few months shy of his 29th birthday, while he'll be chasing 33 when the 2016 Olympic Games, scheduled for Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, gets under way.

Powell, who will next month be receiving the University of Technology's Chancellor's Medal in recognition of his achievements in the sport, says he will certainly be approaching the London Games as his last, though he would not explicitly rule out the possibility of featuring in Rio.

"I will approach it as if it's my last Olympics," said Powell. "You definitely have to go into these championships as if it's your last, and I will approach London as if it's my last.

"I am never going to give up until it's really time. I am here and I'll continue to be here until my time comes," Powell added in reference to his resilience and determination.

In two appearances at the Olympic Games, Powell is yet to win an individual medal and has only managed a 4x100m relay gold at the 2008 Games in Beijing, China.

Similar performance
At the Athens Games in 2004, Powell ran 9.94 for fifth place in the 100m final, returning four years later in Beijing with a similar performance and finish; crossing the line in 9.95, which was once again only good enough for fifth.

The two-time World Championships 100m bronze medallist, who had to sit out this year's Worlds after he failed to recover in time from a groin injury, is already focusing on the upcoming season and will be watching his fitness situation over the next week or two before going into full training.

"I will start working on that (injury) maybe next week, and I think the real training will start in three weeks or so," said Powell.

"Honestly, I just want to take it step by step, I have to get the training out of the way and then I have the national trials and then on to London, so it's a step-by-step process, and I just want to make sure I am fit and in great shape heading there," Powell added.

Once fit, Powell will again be expected to figure in the running for 100m medal spots in London, along with countrymen Usain Bolt - the 100m and 200m world record holder; world champion Yohan Blake and training partner Nesta Carter, along with American Walter Dix and Frenchman Christophe Lemaitre.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Anonymous

A fit Powell makes for an interesting 100m final where, quite possibly there could be four Jamaicans in with a medal chance. When is the last time that any nation had the first four past the line? Could Frater make the final as well? It is also then a mouth watering relay with the only concern being do you run Bolt or Powell on the back or front straight? I would start with Carter, pass to Bolt, to Blake and finish with Powell. I think that they would get the benefit of Bolt taking pressure off Blake and Powell leaving them to worry about their own race, that being the new world record.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum