PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
I can beat Usain Bolt, claims Mark Lewis-Francis EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
I can beat Usain Bolt, claims Mark Lewis-Francis EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
I can beat Usain Bolt, claims Mark Lewis-Francis EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
I can beat Usain Bolt, claims Mark Lewis-Francis EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
I can beat Usain Bolt, claims Mark Lewis-Francis EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
I can beat Usain Bolt, claims Mark Lewis-Francis EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
I can beat Usain Bolt, claims Mark Lewis-Francis EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
I can beat Usain Bolt, claims Mark Lewis-Francis EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
I can beat Usain Bolt, claims Mark Lewis-Francis EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

I can beat Usain Bolt, claims Mark Lewis-Francis

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/article-23960374-i-can-beat-usain-bolt-claims-mark-lewis-francis.do

I can beat Usain Bolt, claims Mark Lewis-Francis Mark-lewis-francis-14173

I can beat Usain Bolt, claims Mark Lewis-Francis

by Matt Majendie
London Evening Standard
14 Jun 2011

Mark Lewis-Francis believes that Usain Bolt is beatable and that his own injury nightmare will help him in his quest to catch the fastest man on the planet.

The 28-year-old Briton's career has been plagued by injuries and he has only recently returned from his latest setback, a grade-three tear in his groin.

Lewis-Francis had been told to forget about jogging for at least 12 weeks but was back to full training after just eight weeks and, now back in competitive action, is raring to make up for lost time and catch the world's elite.

The Berkshire-based sprinter spent time with Bolt at a competition in Ostrava, in the Czech Republic, two weeks ago but, while the 100m record holder was winning the elite 100m, Lewis-Francis was competing in the 'B' final, which he won in a time of 10.2 seconds.

Despite that, he is confident he has the ability to take on the world's best this season and in the Olympic year in 2012.

He said: "Usain Bolt is an unbelievable talent and is beatable. I'm looking to catch him and, anyway, everyone has to have a bad day at some point. But from my point of view, if I can come back from the injuries I've had then racing another human being shouldn't be that hard."

Lewis-Francis' groin tear pales into insignificance compared to the Achilles injury nightmares that blighted his career since the highlight of anchoring Team GB to gold in the 4x100m relay at the 2004 Olympics.

A trip to the world renowned sports doctor Hans-Wilhelm Muller Wohlfahrt, who has worked on the likes of Bolt, Paula Radcliffe, Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen, has helped rectify his latest complaint but the injury forced him to miss out on a shot at gold at the European Indoors in Paris in March.

He looked to have carried over his form from 2010 when he won silver at the European Championships and Commonwealth Games, and was brimming with confidence ahead of an all-British head-to-head against Dwain Chambers.

"I promised myself after the Achilles injury I'd never miss another major championship again but there I was once more sitting at home, which wasn't the best thing," he said. "Missing that is what made me work hard to come back particularly as I felt I could have given Dwain a real battle for the gold."

The two Britons remain some way off the times of Bolt, his fellow Jamaicans and American Tyson Gay but that has not deterred Lewis-Francis from thinking big.

"The World Championships is the major thing on this season's agenda after the success of last year," he said. "It's like a stepping stone to see where I'm going to be in 2012. I want to be there at the Worlds in the final and in the Olympic Games final."

The Olympics are a big goal for Lewis-Francis, who is coached by former Olympic champion Linford Christie, having been forced to miss out last time around because of his Achilles complaint.

The pain - mentally in particular - was so strong that he could not even watch on television. "Watching it was just too much for me - man, it was really, really tough," he added.

Now fully fit, he watches whatever athletics he can and admits to being driven on rather than daunted by the likes of Bolt running well inside Lewis-Francis' personal best despite clearly being some way off his peak.

"It's not at all hard to watch him," he said. "Actually, it's the total opposite. It's unbelievably motivating."

The more realistic Olympic medal target for Lewis-Francis ought to come in the 4x100m relay. Jamaica's star-studded line-up are expected to run away with the event.

But as Lewis-Francis pointed out, "So were the Americans in Athens and we beat them. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Most definitely the gold is achievable if we put the Jamaicans and the Americans under pressure."

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum