PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift Empty AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:29 pm

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.standard.net.au/news/local/sport/athletics/afl-hopeful-takes-out-terang-gift/2372088.aspx

AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift

By KATE BUTLER
Warrnambool Standard
28 Nov, 2011

AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift 1568670

LAUCHLAN Dalgleish is among the hopefuls wanting to be picked up in next month’s AFL rookie draft but if he doesn’t get his wish, another sport will potentially benefit.

The multi-talented 18-year-old took out the 2011 Terang Gift yesterday, completing the 120-metre race in 12.25 seconds.

It marked his Terang Gift debut after he incredibly only took up athletics last year.

At the 2010 Stawell Gift, he won the Footballer’s Gift (120m), with his blistering performance catching the eye of Ararat athletics coach Marcus Cooper.

“He talked me into giving (running) a go,” Dalgleish said.

“I thought it would be good fun and it would help me develop my footy as well.”

Dalgleish featured in every TAC Cup match with the North Ballarat Rebels this year, playing on a wing. “I went to draft camp but I didn’t get picked up in the draft on Thursday night,” he said.

“Now I just have to wait for the rookie draft and see what happens.

“I’ve spoke to a couple of clubs but they haven’t really given too much away.”

Dalgleish — who finished in the top five of the 20m sprint, 30m repeat sprint, agility run and clean hands test at the AFL Draft Combine in October — said his football had benefited since taking up athletics.

“Definitely my speed and my run-and-carry with the ball,” he said.

“I’ve also got more power through my core.”

The Ararat resident’s speed was on display at Terang Recreation Reserve yesterday for the fifth annual gift meeting.

He claimed the blue winner’s sash ahead of Footscray’s Gus Carty-Cowling and Buninyong veteran Rod Mathews, who was aiming for back-to-back victories in the feature event.

Carty-Cowling and Dalgleish contested the same heat, finishing in that order.

“He just got me on the line,” Dalgleish said. “I was lucky that I didn’t draw him in the semi because I probably didn’t have to work as hard then (in my semi).”

Carty-Cowling was reasonably happy with his performance in the final.

“It was all right,” the runner-up said. “He just kicked off a bit and I couldn’t take him.”

Dalgleish pocketed $1200 for his efforts, which marked his first major event of this season.

He is coming to the end of a busy year after completing year 12 at Ararat College on top of his football and running commitments.

The teenager contested this year’s Stawell Gift, finishing a respectable third in a heat.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

2AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift Empty Re: AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:08 am

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.araratadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/athletics/lauchies-gift/2378905.aspx?storypage=0

Lauchie's Gift

BY SARAH SCULLY
Ararat Advertiser
02 Dec, 2011

ARARAT - Ararat's Lauchie Dalgleish may have been overlooked during the Australian Football League National Draft last week, but his dream of playing Australian Rules at the highest level is far from over.

The 18-year-old has spent the past few days training with the Essendon Football Club in Melbourne, in preparation for the rookie draft on December 13.

Dalgleish left for the city on Monday, the day after he took out the 120-metre Terang Gift in a time of 12.25 seconds.

Dalgleish claimed his first major victory of the Victorian Athletic League season ahead of Footscray's Gus Carty-Cowling and Buninyong veteran Rod Mathews, who was aiming for back-to-back victories in the feature event.

Carty-Cowling defeated Dalgleish in their heat, although the Ararat sprinter turned the tables in the final, collecting $1,200 for his efforts.

Dalgleish said he was not sure what to expect at Terang.

"A couple of weeks leading up to it I was speaking with Marcus (Cooper, his coach) and he said he thought I could win it, but I wasn't sure," he said.

"There were a few good runners in it, including Rod Mathews, who beat me last year."

Dalgleish said he won the final by about a metre. It's not a bad effort for someone who only entered the competitive running scene last year.

Dalgleish was persuaded to take up athletics by Ararat running coach, Marcus Cooper after he won the Footballers Gift (120m) at the 2010 Stawell Gift meeting.

Dalgleish said his football had benefited since taking up athletics, improving both his speed and his power through his core.

The Ararat College student featured in every TAC Cup match with the North Ballarat Rebels this year, with his performances on the wing earning him an invitation to the AFL Draft Combine in October.

In front of the watchful eyes of AFL scouts, Dalgleish finished in the top five of the 20-metre sprint, 30-metre repeat sprint, agility run and clean hands test.

After performing so well, Dalgleish said he was disappointed not to have been picked up by an AFL club on November 24.

"I watched it (the draft) with a few family members and a few close friends. I was pretty quiet for the next couple of days, I just got back into training and spoke with a couple of guys at Ballarat about what I should do next," he said.

Dalgleish said he was enjoying spending time around an AFL club, undertaking weight, running and skills sessions.

"It's a good opportunity to get myself down here and start my pre-season," he said.

"It's also a way for me to get my stuff out there and to show them what I've got."

Dalgleish said he would train with the Bombers for another week. After that, it is simply a waiting game.

"I'm a little bit confident (about the rookie draft)," he said.

"But at the moment I just have to have my fingers crossed."

https://protrack.forumotion.com

3AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift Empty Re: AFL hopeful takes out Terang Gift Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:17 am

Anonymous

Great to see Lachy get picked up by the Bombers in the rookie draft this morning. Looks like the end of his VAL season, unfortunately for the sport.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum