PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Helsinki  - the track with corners causes athletes to DQ EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Helsinki  - the track with corners causes athletes to DQ EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Helsinki  - the track with corners causes athletes to DQ EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Helsinki  - the track with corners causes athletes to DQ EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Helsinki  - the track with corners causes athletes to DQ EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Helsinki  - the track with corners causes athletes to DQ EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Helsinki  - the track with corners causes athletes to DQ EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Helsinki  - the track with corners causes athletes to DQ EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Helsinki  - the track with corners causes athletes to DQ EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Helsinki - the track with corners causes athletes to DQ

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-sports/athletics/impossible-disqualified-lennon-ford-blasts-helsinki-943511

European athletics championships "Impossible": Disqualified Lennon-Ford blasts Helsinki track

By Alex Spink
mirror.co.uk
28th June 2012

Helsinki  - the track with corners causes athletes to DQ Luke+Lennon-Ford+of+Great+Britain+competes+in+the+Men's+400+Metres+Heats+
FrustrationL: Luke Lennon-Ford was disqualified
Getty

The 400m hopeful won his heat but was disqualified for running outside his lane, ending his Olympic dream

Luke Lennon-Ford blasted an "impossible" track after his Olympic dream fell victim to the bends in Helsinki.

The farce round the grass saw three of the five heat winners in the European Championships 400m disqualified for stepping out of their lane.

Richard Buck was later reinstated on appeal but Lennon-Ford, who needed a fast time to book a berth at London 2012, was sent packing.

The 23-year-old revealed a local told him the football pitch in the infield had been widened to meet international regulations, and the track relaid.

"He said they'd changed the curve and they have blatantly made it too tight," raged Lennon-Ford. "It's impossible to put speed on it. Unless you're drawn in lanes 4/5/6 forget it."

Hurdler Nathan Woodward added: "It's almost as though it has corners. You go one way then you have to turn, like almost at right angles."

Biggest victim was Slovenian athlete Brent Larue who was disqualified from both the 400m AND 400m hurdles.

Buck still needs to record two 'A' standards of 45.30 seconds in the semi-final and final to have a realistic chance of being selected for the Olympics, with Nigel Levine in a strong position to claim the final place available alongside Martyn Rooney and Conrad Williams.

Elsewhere, the Olympic dreams of Britain's Jenny Meadows suffered a massive blow today when she was forced to withdraw from the European Championships.

Meadows, who won bronze in the 800m at the World Championships in Berlin in 2009, has not raced all year due to injury, but was hoping to prove her fitness here before the Olympic squad is selected on Monday.

However, the 31-year-old Wigan athlete suffered a reaction to her Achilles injury on the journey to Finland and will not compete in this evening's semi-finals.

The UK Athletics selection panel will not select any athlete "who it has good reason to think will be uncompetitive at the Games due to, for example, injury, illness or lack of recent form," but previous championship performances can also be considered and Meadows will score strongly on that point.

The good news for Meadows is that there are currently still three places available on the team after Marilyn Okoro and Emma Jackson, who could have sealed a place by finishing in the top two at the weekend's trials, were fifth and seventh.

Lynsey Sharp and Jemma Simpson, who were first and second in Birmingham respectively, could fill two places by recording the 'A' standard of one minute 59.90 seconds in Helsinki, but whatever happens there will be at least one spot up for grabs.

"It has been a battle to get back to full fitness after suffering an Achilles tear earlier this year," Meadows said. "I have never been fitter, having spent all winter training on the bike or the Alter-G (an anti-gravity treadmill) and mentally I was ready to come here and compete for a medal.

"But my injury seems to have reacted badly to the flight and whilst we all genuinely believed I would be ready to get to the start line, this setback means I'm so close yet so far. I know I'm selectable based on my previous seven 'A' standards, but it is no longer in my control."

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum