PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Discus star withdraws from Comm Games EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Discus star withdraws from Comm Games EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Discus star withdraws from Comm Games EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Discus star withdraws from Comm Games EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Discus star withdraws from Comm Games EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Discus star withdraws from Comm Games EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Discus star withdraws from Comm Games EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Discus star withdraws from Comm Games EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Discus star withdraws from Comm Games EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Discus star withdraws from Comm Games

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Discus star withdraws from Comm Games Empty Discus star withdraws from Comm Games Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:19 am

Youngy

Admin
Admin

From the AA website - 21 September 2010

Dani Samuels withdraws from 2010 Commonwealth Games team

Athletics Australia today advised the Australian Commonwealth Games Association (ACGA) of the withdrawal of discus thrower Dani Samuels from the 2010 Australian Commonwealth Games team.

The ACGA accepts and respects Samuels’ decision to withdraw.

“This is the hardest decision of my life and not one I took lightly,” Samuels said.

“I love competing for Australia, winning a Commonwealth Games is important to me and something I’ve dreamed of. My whole year’s training has been planned for this event but yesterday I couldn’t even bring myself to train with stress and anxiety regarding the issues surrounding the Games.”

Samuels’ manager Hayden Knowles informed Athletics Australia of the decision late this afternoon, citing security and health fears which had caused the 22-year-old world champion many sleepless nights.

“Dani has today made the difficult decision to not compete at the Commonwealth Games,” Knowles said.

“Her reason, after great deliberation, is due to security and other potential problems to her health and well-being in New Delhi. This was of such great concern to Dani that it was affecting her training, her health and her desire to participate.”

Speaking from Delhi where a small team of Australian officials are preparing the Australian team headquarters in the athletes village, ACGA Chief Executive Officer Perry Crosswhite said: “We have held the position all along that it is the individual athlete’s prerogative as to whether or not they wish to travel to Delhi and participate in the 2010 Commonwealth Games.”

Crosswhite reiterated that the ACGA is in constant contact with Australian Government officials and the advice is that an acceptable level of security is being provided for our 2010 Commonwealth Games Team, however all team members must determine their own personal position on whether to participate.

“It is a very personal decision and one which athletes must make in consultation with their family and individual support teams, and we accept and respect Dani’s decision,” Crosswhite said.

Athletics Australia CEO Dallas O’Brien said: “We completely respect Dani’s decision. We appreciate it was an extremely difficult choice to make given the circumstances.”

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum