PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Rudisha (& Others!) OUT of Commonwealth Games EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Rudisha (& Others!) OUT of Commonwealth Games EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Rudisha (& Others!) OUT of Commonwealth Games EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Rudisha (& Others!) OUT of Commonwealth Games EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Rudisha (& Others!) OUT of Commonwealth Games EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Rudisha (& Others!) OUT of Commonwealth Games EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Rudisha (& Others!) OUT of Commonwealth Games EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Rudisha (& Others!) OUT of Commonwealth Games EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Rudisha (& Others!) OUT of Commonwealth Games EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rudisha (& Others!) OUT of Commonwealth Games

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.nation.co.ke/sports/athletics/Rudisha%20bows%20to%20weight%20of%20world%20records%20/-/1100/1001630/-/2kwf06/-/index.html

Rudisha bows to weight of world records
The Daily Nation
2nd September 2010

Despite putting two world records under his belt in seven days, world 800m holder and Africa champion David Rudisha will skip the Commonwealth Games due in Delhi next month, citing fatigue.

“I started my season early and was in shape, running 1:43 by February, and I maintained it until September. I believe I need time to rest and focus on next year,” said Rudisha, 21, from his base in Berlin.

“I have come to realise that, in this profession, you do not need to wait for your body to tell you when to stop but rather have the instict to stop when it is required.”

Athletics Kenya (AK) has since agreed to the request and settled on Abraham Kiplagat, second at the national trials, to fill the void.

AK secretary-general David Okeyo said Rudisha had a genuine concern and deserves to rest, having raced too fast twice within a short period.

“He has given it everything. He ran well and set two world records in seven days. It requires more to be in that form and maintain yourself at the top,” Okeyo said.

“To return stronger and sharp next season, he must not be running in too many races; we must protect him from burning out.”

Rudisha’s season will not be over until this weekend when he runs in the Africa team at the IAAF Continental Cup championship in Split City, Croatia. The Saturday and Sunday event has teams from Africa, Europe, Asia/Pacific and the Americas.

“I need to go away after Split, maybe for two months. Next year has the World Championship and then we have the Olympics. I want to be in top form for both events,” said Rudisha.

Kenya will have a 53-strong track and field squad at the Club Games and will be seeking to defend the 800m title won by Alex Kipchirchir in Melbourne, Australia, in 2006.

Richard Kiplagat and Boaz Lalang, second during Sunday’s meeting in Rieti, Italy, where Rudisha set a new world record of 1:41.01, will also compete in the two-lap race.

Meanwhile, only five athletes in Kenya’s Africa team departed from Nairobi for Croatia last night as the rest of the 14 team mates were already in Europe after the IAAF Diamond League.

They are Africa 3,000m steeplechase champion Richard Mateelong, Olympic 1,500m queen Nancy Jebet Lagat, Vincent Mutai (400m), Vincent Yator (5,000) and Priscilla Isiao (shot putt).

Last edited by Admin on Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Curious

Anonymous

Kenya will have a 53-strong track and field squad at the Club Games and will be seeking to defend the 800m title won by Alex Kipchirchir in Melbourne, Australia, in 2006.

Club Games? Commonwealth Games now no better than a club competition according to the rest of the world!

Rudisha out, Bolt out, who's next.

Lameduck

Anonymous

Isn't Powell out as well?

BenDover

Anonymous

J Pitman out.
T Thomas out.
Dawn Fraser out.

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/display-article?arId=48759

Mo Farah withdraws from Commonwealth Games

Double European Champion Mo Farah announced today that he will end his 2010 track season and withdraw from the Commonwealth Games in India. The 27 year old had his best track season to date winning the 5000m and 10,000m at the European T&F Championships in Barcelona, breaking the 28 year old British 5000m Record with a time of 12:57.94 in Weltklasse Zurich and taking victory in the 5000m in the European Team Championships in Bergen and the European Cup 10,000m in Marseille.

“I had a great 2010 season and my body is telling me that it is time to take a break from training and racing. I have been competing since the start of the year at cross-country, road and track and feel that I need a few weeks off now to let my body recover so that I can start winter training fit and healthy.

Over the past few weeks I have been getting a few niggles, nothing serious but enough to tell me to ease back. I was looking forward to the Commonwealth Games in Delhi but after the success I had this year I am happy to call it a season.

I look forward to the 2011 IAAF World T&F Championships in Daegu and the 2012 Olympic Games in my home city of London. I came close to getting a medal in the past two World T&F Championships and hope that I can continue to improve over the next few years.”

Mo Farah’s 2010 highlights –

· European 5000m & 10,000m Champion

· IAAF Diamond League, Zurich 5000m, 12:57.94, British Record

· Bupa London 10km, 1st 27:43, British Record

· European Cup 10,000m, 1st, 27:28.86, PB and 3rd fastest UK All-Time

· European Team Championships 5000m, 1st

· IAAF Diamond League, London, 3000m, 2nd

Youngy

Admin
Admin

English trio pull out of Commonwealth Games

English athletes Phillips Idowu, Christine Ohuruogu and Lisa Dobriskey have all pulled out of the Commonwealth Games, which start on 3 October.

World triple jump champion Idowu has concerns over security preparations for the Games, whereas Ohuruogu and Dobriskey both have injury worries.

All three were due to defend their Commonwealth titles in Delhi.

The withdrawals came as the athletes' village was criticised and branded as unfit for human habitation.

Idowu, 31, has not pulled out because of any injury problem, the BBC understands.

On his Twitter feed he said: "Sorry people, but I have children to think about. My safety is more important to them than a medal."

Fellow Londoner Ohuruogu, the Olympic 400m champion, said she did not want to risk aggravating a muscle problem after suffering cramp during training.

Dobriskey, who hails from Kent, won the 1500m at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne, but has been troubled by a leg injury.

In a statement on her official website, Ohuruogu said: "I am disappointed... but the last thing an athlete wants is to re-risk injury to the same muscle."

The 26-year-old missed the second part of the 2010 track and field season because of an injury to her left quadriceps.

She added: "It was very important for me to be cautious in dealing with my previous injury.

"Although training was progressing well, intense competition over three days may prove to be more harmful than good and may compromise the long-term functioning of the muscle.

"With three rounds in the 400m in Delhi, I would need to be close to my best to win the gold.

"I had already picked up my team kit and was getting ready to go the preparation camp in Doha. Instead I will have a short break now and resume training in October to get ready for the 2011 season.

"I would like to wish my fellow athletes all the best for Delhi and I hope they bring home a lot of medals."

Dobriskey wins 1500m silver at 2009 Worlds (UK only)
Dobriskey, 26, a silver medallist at the 2009 World Championships in Berlin, has been told to rest by doctors.

She had injury problems earlier this season, but worked hard to get herself fit for the European Championships in Barcelona, where she finished fourth on 1 August.

"I was really looking forward to competing and I'd worked so hard to get back into shape," Dobriskey stated.

"I'm really disappointed, but I just ran out of time. I want to wish all the best to the athletes out in Delhi."

The Games had already been hit with several high-profile withdrawals, including Jamaica's champion Olympic sprinter Usain Bolt and Kenya's David Rudisha, who broke the 800m world record twice in August.

On Tuesday, team bosses said they were "optimistic" England would compete but that urgent work was needed before the Games begin.

Scottish officials found their original accommodation to be "unsafe and unfit for human habitation".

Delegates who visited the tower blocks where athletes will live during the Games had described them as filthy, with rubble lying in doorways, dogs inside the buildings, toilets not working and excrement "in places it shouldn't be".

New Zealand chef de mission Dave Currie has suggested the Games might even have to be cancelled.

To add to the concerns, an elevated walkway at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium collapsed on Tuesday, injuring 23 construction workers, five seriously.

But organising committee secretary-general Lalit Bhanot insisted: "The situation is under control."

Youngy

Admin
Admin

Tamsyn Lewis blames poor form for exit from Commonwealth Games
By Jim Wilson
Herald Sun
September 23, 2010

THREE-time Commonwealth Games gold medallist Tamsyn Lewis says poor form and not security have forced her out of the Delhi Games.

Lewis was on the verge of competing in a record fifth Commonwealth Games, but says her performances are sub-standard because of tendinitis in her knee.

The 32-year-old says she'd risk long-term damage if she made the trip to Delhi, where she was hoping to defend Australia's gold medal in the 4x400m relay.

"This is a very difficult decision, but I am desperate to compete at the world championships next year and in London in 2012 and so that's the big picture for me," Lewis said last night.

"It's not about security and hygiene, but my times are about two seconds slower than my best and I want the best for the relay team and I would hamper our prospects."

Lewis told Athletics Australia last night of her injury and her decision to bypass Delhi.

Lewis - who made her Games debut in Canada in 1994 - says while her decision to withdraw from Delhi isn't because of security, athletes are justified in their concerns.

" I really hope for the sake of the games' future and for my teammates participating that the games go ahead safely and successfully," Lewis said.

"The Indian people are fantastic and have invested $3 billion into this, but the signs aren't good.

"Hopefully all will go ahead without drama or tragedy because the Games mean so much to me and Australia."

It has also been confirmed swimming great Ian Thorpe won't be in Delhi for commentary duties with British broadcaster the BBC.

Instead Thorpe will call the action in the Delhi pool from London.

"That was always going to be the situation where Ian was to call swimming off the tube during the Games," his manager David Flaskas said.

A number of high profile British athletes are expected to withdraw from the Games in the next week because of safety and hygiene.

8Rudisha (& Others!) OUT of Commonwealth Games Empty Mulaudzi OUT, Mokoena & Semenya doubtful Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:46 am

Youngy

Admin
Admin

South Africa’s track and field medal hopes fading fast
IOLsport.co.za
Independent Newspapers
September 27 2010

South Africa's small athletics contingent for the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi, India has taken some serious knocks, with world 800m champion Mbulaeni Mulaudzi having withdrawn and Caster Semenya in doubt.

Olympic long jump silver medallist Khotso Mokoena could also be watching from the sidelines as he and Semenya, the women's world 800m champion, face a race against time to recover from injuries ahead of the quadrennial multi-sport event which starts on Sunday.

Semenya's coach, Michael Seme, confirmed reports that they would seek medical advice on a niggling back injury before deciding if she was fit enough to compete at the Games.

“Her back has been troubling her in training, but we don't know how serious it is,” Seme said on Monday.

“She will see a doctor today or tomorrow, and based on what he tells us we will decide whether or not she will compete.”

And while Mulaudzi was unavailable for comment, his wife, Pondani, confirmed reports that he had already withdrawn.

“He is not going to run in India,” she said on Monday afternoon.

With only 11 athletes included in South Africa's athletics team, hopes for a respectable medal haul have dwindled significantly on the eve of the Games.

And while a host of athletes from other nations have also withdrawn from Semenya's and Mokoena's events, if either of them are not fully fit, there is enough quality competition to keep them off their respective podiums. - Sapa

Youngy

Admin
Admin

Australia's athletics team for the Commonwealth Games has been reduced to just 66 athletes following the withdrawal of Scott Martin and Hayley Butler.

Martin, the defending champion in the discus and one of the favourites for the shot put title, reportedly reinjured his pectoral muscle on his way to taking out the shot put title at last weekend's Oceania championships in Cairns.

Butler, who returned to the track last domestic season after the birth of her first child and qualified for the team in the 100m hurdles, is suffering from stress fractures in her feet.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum