PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
British 4 x 400m team DQ for baton throw! EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
British 4 x 400m team DQ for baton throw! EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
British 4 x 400m team DQ for baton throw! EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
British 4 x 400m team DQ for baton throw! EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
British 4 x 400m team DQ for baton throw! EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
British 4 x 400m team DQ for baton throw! EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
British 4 x 400m team DQ for baton throw! EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
British 4 x 400m team DQ for baton throw! EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
British 4 x 400m team DQ for baton throw! EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

British 4 x 400m team DQ for baton throw!

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1British 4 x 400m team DQ for baton throw! Empty British 4 x 400m team DQ for baton throw! Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:37 am

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/19/britain-athletics-european-team

Dropped baton in men's 4x400m costs Britain dearly.

Team GB finish fourth despite wins for Andy Turner and Charlene Thomas.

Press Association
guardian.co.uk,
Sunday 19 June 2011

Andy Turner and Charlene Thomas were the notable winners as Great Britain narrowly missed out on third place at the European Team Championships in Stockholm.

Team GB lay third after Saturday's first day of competition but their hopes of overhauling Ukraine to regain that place ended during the men's 4x400m relay, when the baton was dropped.

The Nottingham athlete Turner has been in excellent form in the 110 metres hurdles, setting five of the best six times in Europe, and he was a comfortable winner. After a sluggish start he won in 13.64 seconds in wet and windy conditions.

Thomas's win in the 1500 metres proved to be more complicated after she found herself boxed in nearing the bell. The Wakefield runner dropped back before launching a strong attack in the home straight to pick off her rivals and claim victory in 4 min 6.85 sec.

A delighted Thomas said: "I knew I could win the race, I'm so confident at the moment and my finish is so strong after the work I have put in. I have run 4:06 today and I have been boxed in and been clipped and things. I really believe I can run fast."

Turner was just pleased to have put a smile on the face of the team coach, Charles van Commenee, who has been involved in an unedifying spat with the triple jumper Phillips Idowu over the latter's withdrawal from this competition. Turner said: "I came into the race confident, I felt good, the conditions were tough but I'm just happy to win the race and keep Charles van Commenee happy."

Van Commenee's humour was not improved by the foul-up in the men's 4 x 400m team, though. The women's team of Kelly Massey, Nicola Sanders, Lee McConnell and Perri Shakes-Drayton had produced a fine display to finish second in their relay and the men's quartet appeared to be on for a good finish, too, until Michael Bingham's attempt to hand over to Richard Buck for the final lap ended with the baton on the floor. Bingham then threw the baton to Buck, leading to disqualification.

Van Commenee said: "A total anticlimax. Richard Buck went too soon but that comes with relay running. There is just no excuse."

It also proved a disappointing day for Tiffany Ofili-Porter in the women's 100m hurdles. Ofili-Porter, who has switched her allegiance from the United States, was some way below her best as she finished third behind Belarus's Alina Talay in her heat, dropping to fourth overall because the first heat proved to be quicker.

"I just wasn't sharp, I don't enjoy the rain but, if it rains on me, it rains on everyone else, so that is not an excuse. I'm going to get some good training in, put it behind me and look to the future," she said.

Abi Oyepitan was sixth overall in the women's 200m while Daniel Talbot was a creditable third in his heat and fifth overall in the men's race, where France's Christophe Lemaitre followed up his impressive win over Dwain Chambers in the 100m on Saturday with victory in 20.29sec.

Helen Clitheroe, the European Indoor champion over 3,000m, produced a lifetime best in the 5,000m as she finished third behind Spain's Delores Checa while Gareth Warburton clocked a season's best in an impressive outing in the 800m.

Andy Baddeley suffered disappointment after leaving his finishing kick too late in the 3,000m. Baddeley allowed the leading group to open up a slight gap on him down the back straight and he left himself too much to do in the final 100m, finishing fourth.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Anonymous

Watched the relay last night and saw the British team stuff it up. Firstly Bingham dropped the baton while attemtping to pass it to Buck, then he picked it up and threw it about 3m to Buck who fumbled the catch. Buck then picked up the baton and trailed the other 5 teams home. Naturally they were disqualified for the throw.

The dropped baton might have been karma for Bingham flailing his arms about & knocking a few runners around as he went round the first turn.

Last edited by youngy on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Anonymous

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/9094112.Ricahrd_Buck_takes_rap_for_GB___s_relay_baton_clanger/

Richard Buck takes rap for GB’s relay baton clanger

York Press
Monday 20th June 2011

CITY of York Athletics Club ace Richard Buck accepted full responsibility for a fumbled relay changeover that cost Great Britain the chance of a podium finish in the Spar European Team Championships.

The 24-year-old, running the anchor leg of the 4x400 metres relay in Stockholm, was involved in a disastrous handover with Michael Bingham, leading to the team’s disqualification.

The last event woe ensured Ukraine pipped Great Britain to third place in the overall competition and there was no buck-passing from the City of York runner.

Buck said: “It was my fault. It was my job to get a good hand on the baton and I didn’t.

“I turned to run because I thought it was in my hand, but it wasn’t and the baton went down.

“It’s tough to always get a clean changeover because it gets crowded out there. It was one of those things and I’m really sorry I did that.

“We certainly won’t make the same mistake again and hopefully we have learned from this and we will move on.”

Buck completed the race in last place, but the GB quartet were then disqualified as Bingham had thrown the baton in a bid to rectify the changeover error.

Great Britain coach Charles van Commenee said yesterday’s relay mix-up was “a total anti-climax” after a series of positive results.

“Richard Buck went too soon, but that comes with relay running, there is just no excuse,” he said.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum