PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Bolt not concerned with 'average' form EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Bolt not concerned with 'average' form EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Bolt not concerned with 'average' form EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Bolt not concerned with 'average' form EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Bolt not concerned with 'average' form EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Bolt not concerned with 'average' form EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Bolt not concerned with 'average' form EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Bolt not concerned with 'average' form EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Bolt not concerned with 'average' form EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolt not concerned with 'average' form

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Bolt not concerned with 'average' form Empty Bolt not concerned with 'average' form Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:23 am

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/08/usain-bolt-diamond-league-oslo

Bolt not concerned with 'average' form Usain-Bolt-007

Usain Bolt dismisses poor form and focuses on defence of world titles

By Anna Kessel in Oslo
guardian.co.uk,
Wednesday 8 June 2011

The world champion sprinter Usain Bolt has dismissed speculation that he is struggling this season, and said that all that matters is that he defends his world titles in South Korea in August.

"It doesn't bother me," the triple world record holder said. "Even if I lose every race before the world championships it doesn't matter to me, I'm just trying to get my form back together and my technique together and just get back to the old Usain Bolt. That's the aim and it doesn't matter what people say because I'm just focused on one thing and that's the world championships. That's all I'm focused on and I'm going to get it right."

The 24-year-old Jamaican, who will run in the 200 metres at the Diamond League meeting in Oslo on Thursday, has been struggling to return to the form with which he set world records in 2008 and 2009. Last year proved difficult as he ended the season with a defeat by his arch-rival, Tyson Gay, and suffered a back problem that left him unable to compete for almost 10 months. This season Bolt won his first two races over 100m narrowly, in Rome and Ostrava, in identical times of 9.91sec. That is well below his usual capabilities.

For once Bolt is behind the rest of the world. The American Gay has run the fastest time in the world this year, 9.79sec, and Jamaica's Steve Mullings and the American Mike Rodgers are joint second with 9.80sec. Mullings has run faster than Bolt on two other occasions.

Bolt said he would not feel any nerves on Thursday when he tackles the 200m for the first time in more than a year. "I'm never nervous in the 200m," he said. "I'm much more comfortable in the 200m because I've been training for years." Still, all eyes will be on how the man who ran 19.19sec in 2009 handles his season debut.

Another Jamaican, the 21-year-old Nickel Ashmeade, tops this season's 200m rankings with 19.95sec. In a poor field in Oslo – only the Norwegian Saidy Ndure has broken 20sec – Bolt cannot rely on being pushed to a fast time.

Among the crowd in the Bislett Stadium will be the former Olympic and world champion Donovan Bailey. The Canadian believes that this is a crucial moment, in which Bolt's rivals have a chance to establish an advantage.

"What the other athletes should now do is say, 'Oh man, he's running 9.90, maybe I've got a chance," Bailey said. "They need to take their chance now." But Bailey also warned that Bolt's vulnerability would only last for a short time.

"Usain, one on one with anybody [at the world championships], he will crush them. Even if he's not properly fit, in a four-round competition he will get fit during the rounds. If he can run 9.58, then all he has to do is run a 10th slower to win."

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum