PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Liothyronine & the Hypothyroid (Thyroid Deficiency) Controversy EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Liothyronine & the Hypothyroid (Thyroid Deficiency) Controversy EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Liothyronine & the Hypothyroid (Thyroid Deficiency) Controversy EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Liothyronine & the Hypothyroid (Thyroid Deficiency) Controversy EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Liothyronine & the Hypothyroid (Thyroid Deficiency) Controversy EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Liothyronine & the Hypothyroid (Thyroid Deficiency) Controversy EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Liothyronine & the Hypothyroid (Thyroid Deficiency) Controversy EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Liothyronine & the Hypothyroid (Thyroid Deficiency) Controversy EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Liothyronine & the Hypothyroid (Thyroid Deficiency) Controversy EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Liothyronine & the Hypothyroid (Thyroid Deficiency) Controversy

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Anonymous

by JIMSON LEE of SpeedEndurance.com MAY 9, 2013

The Wall Street Journal ran an article on April 10 on Dr. Jeffrey Brown, a Houston-based endocrinologist, prescribing a number of young, athletic males being treated for thyroid deficiency, including Carl Lewis and Galen Rupp (10,000m silver medalist in London 2012).  To date, Dr. Brown, who is also an adviser to Nike, has a resume of athletes who has won 15 gold medals (and counting).

In all fairness, Dr. Brown believes that endurance athletics can induce the early onset of a hormonal imbalance.   (Carl is not an endurance athlete)

The drug in question is T3 or Liothyronine, and it is currently NOT on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s banned substances list.  Modafinil (also known as Provigil) IS a banned substance and is also heavily abused by executives who need focus power and staying awake on very little sleep.  Caffeine has been off-and-on the banned list, which I’ve discussed over the years on this blog.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The debate is whether athletes are using hypothyroid drugs to deal with legitimate medical conditions or because they know it improves performance.

Victor Conte Speaks
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Victor Conte insists that liothyronine is performance-enhancing substance, and therefore it should be on the banned substances list.

“I used to give liothyronine to Dwain Chambers. I gave it to Kelli White before every race when she won double gold at the World Championships in Paris in 2003.”

“It’s like putting a turbo-charger on the steroid. It makes it much more effective. Everything is faster including heart-rate. If you feel sluggish, you suddenly have bounce in your legs; you feel light.”

“That was our code for it — the lightness.”

The IOC believes that this thyroid hormone might have “an anorexic or stimulant effect” if used to excess, but like any drug, it is more likely to inhibit performance.   Hmmm, just like they used strychnine, raw eggs and brandy to revive a marathoner 100 years ago.  

Strychnine is a powerful stimulant but it’s also known as rat poison.

Victor Conte has proof of its performance-enhancing properties.
“Kelli White would take 50 micrograms before a race.  My opinion is formed from the athletes telling me they felt very light and fast after taking it. It accelerates your basic metabolic rate, so if you’re taking microdoses of anabolic steroid and take it in conjunction with T3 (liothyronine) it makes them work that much faster.”

At the time of this writing, nothing has been done about it.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum