PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Warren Weir eyes 200m gold EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Warren Weir eyes 200m gold EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Warren Weir eyes 200m gold EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Warren Weir eyes 200m gold EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Warren Weir eyes 200m gold EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Warren Weir eyes 200m gold EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Warren Weir eyes 200m gold EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Warren Weir eyes 200m gold EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Warren Weir eyes 200m gold EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Warren Weir eyes 200m gold

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Warren Weir eyes 200m gold Empty Warren Weir eyes 200m gold Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20130806/sports/sports1.html

Weir eyes 200m gold

André Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter
Jamaica Gleaner
Tuesday | August 6, 2013

Warren Weir eyes 200m gold Warren-Weir

MOSCOW, Russia:
Olympic 200m bronze medallist Warren Weir has been growing from strength to strength, and after last year's surprise podium finish in London, the Racers Track Club man has drawn his battle lines ahead of the IAAF World Championships in Athletics.

The national 200m champion and second fastest man this year - with a time of 19.79 - has his cross hairs set on a better-quality medal this time around, declaring that he is ready to take another step out of the shadows and closer to the sprinting spotlight.

"I am looking forward to go on the podium again, higher up the podium, and also with a faster time and I am looking forward to that shiny gold medal," Weir stated.

Months after switching to the event, Weir followed training partners Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake to the finish line in the 200m final at the London Olympic Games.

That was a shock to many, but after a more dominant set of performances already this season, Weir will walk into Moscow's Luzhniki Stadium full of confidence and belief.

"At last year's Olympics, I was a secret; this year, I am no secret, but I have put in a lot of hard work and I am pleased with my time, 19.79, which I did at the national trials," Weir told The Gleaner in an interview yesterday.

FEELING PRETTY GOOD

"I have run more 19-second times than I did last year, so I'm feeling pretty good about that," he added.

Weir has dipped below 20 seconds four times in his last five races this season, compared to two 19-second clockings in 2012, including his bronze medal-winning 19.84 inside the London Olympic Stadium.

"It's down to a mixture of learning the event more and also a heightened confidence and also wanting to be dominant every time I step on the track," Weir explained.

"I am here as the world number two, with the second fastest time, but I am looking simply to run the race one round at a time and treat each round like it's my final run," he continued.

Weir also admits being pleasantly surprised with his meteoric rise, after he was convinced to switch from the sprint hurdles to the 200m by his coach Glen Mills at the back end of the 2011 season.

"I didn't even see myself as a finalist before the Olympics, but I am feeling pretty confident about my chances here and treating everyone like they are an enemy; a threat to me. Yes, even Usain Bolt as well, everyone is my rival, even myself," he declared, taking a friendly jab at his friend and PlayStation nemesis, Bolt, the double Olympic champion and world record holder.

Still, Weir is not getting carried away, but he does take comfort in his conviction that he is comprehensively better than he has ever been.

"A lot of people realised after the Olympics that I got a lot of beating because I wasn't strong enough, so we worked in the gym on strength and improved my technique as well. We also did some work on the mental aspect of things, so I now consider myself to be stronger physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually," Weir underlined.

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum