PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Teeage sprint star Adam Gemili taking it one championship at a time EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Teeage sprint star Adam Gemili taking it one championship at a time EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Teeage sprint star Adam Gemili taking it one championship at a time EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Teeage sprint star Adam Gemili taking it one championship at a time EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Teeage sprint star Adam Gemili taking it one championship at a time EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Teeage sprint star Adam Gemili taking it one championship at a time EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Teeage sprint star Adam Gemili taking it one championship at a time EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Teeage sprint star Adam Gemili taking it one championship at a time EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Teeage sprint star Adam Gemili taking it one championship at a time EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Teeage sprint star Adam Gemili taking it one championship at a time

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://au.eurosport.com/athletics/speedy-gemili-determined-not-to-get-ahead-of-himself_sto3836099/story.shtml

Speedy Gemili determined not to get ahead of himself

Reuters
Eurosport.com
10/07/2013

World junior champion Adam Gemili is certainly fast - but he's in no hurry to rush making his big breakthrough.0

One year ago Gemili - who only seriously took up sprinting a few months earlier - won the national 100m title in Birmingham.

This weekend he travels to the Sainsbury's British Championships as favourite but he is keeping his season's goals realistic.

However, 19-year old Gemili, who made the 100m semi-finals at last year's Olympics, is in strong form, clocking the quickest 200m by a Briton for five years last month.

He also ran a wind-assisted 10.09 seconds in Bedford over 100m and, with the weather forecast looking good, quick times are expected at the Alexandra Stadium.

But Gemili and coach Michael Afilaka have yet to decide his summer schedule. He will go for both the 100m and 200m at the European Under-23 Championships in Finland but has yet to consider doubling up at the Worlds - should be progress through this weekend's trials.

"I've learned a lot in a very short space of time. I've had a good winter, broken things down technically and tried to learn more about the sport, as I only started seriously last January," said Gemili, who was one of a number of British Olympians attending the Balfour Beatty London Youth Games, Europe's largest annual youth sports event.

"I've studied a lot of previous Olympic and world champions and tried to improve how I execute my races.

"My goals this season are winning the European under-23s and running everything I can there and then we'll see about the World Championships, where it would be great to make the final.

"Last season everything was so new to me. I got to the Olympic semis and was up against Yohan Blake and Tyson Gay, I was just suddenly so nervous and that made a difference. This year I should not make that mistake."

Gemili's 10.05 sec personal best from last year's World Juniors ranks him eighth on the all-time British list - and he's got an eye of becoming only the fourth Brit to break ten seconds, joining an exclusive club that includes Linford Christie, Dwain Chambers and Jason Gardener.

"Breaking ten seconds is one of my aims for 2013 but if I don't achieve it I won't be too upset," he said. "I'd like to say it is going to happen but my goals are running well at the championships."

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum