PROTRACK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PROTRACK

A forum devoted to track events from 60m to the 2 mile. Mainly pro but also news from local, national and international sprint & middle distance competitions.

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» No Maryborough in 2021
Gatlin gets quicker & Semenya goes slower EmptyFri Aug 28, 2020 1:40 pm by Guest

» Incident at Bendigo with POD
Gatlin gets quicker & Semenya goes slower EmptyTue Apr 28, 2020 7:13 pm by Guest

» When will Stawell 2020 be held?
Gatlin gets quicker & Semenya goes slower EmptySun Apr 12, 2020 5:18 pm by Guest

» Central Park Stawell under water
Gatlin gets quicker & Semenya goes slower EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm by Guest

» 80’s Stawell Footage
Gatlin gets quicker & Semenya goes slower EmptySat Apr 04, 2020 2:35 pm by Guest

» Stawell Gift postponement
Gatlin gets quicker & Semenya goes slower EmptyThu Mar 19, 2020 5:02 pm by Guest

» Geelong gift cancelled
Gatlin gets quicker & Semenya goes slower EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm by Guest

» Death Notice Peter Cross
Gatlin gets quicker & Semenya goes slower EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am by Youngy

» Geelong Gift
Gatlin gets quicker & Semenya goes slower EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 8:53 pm by Guest

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gatlin gets quicker & Semenya goes slower

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Youngy

Admin
Admin

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/31082010/2/athletics-gatlin-quicker-semenya-flops-italy.html

Athletics-Gatlin goes quicker again, Semenya flops in Italy
Eurosport.yahoo
Tue, 31 Aug

Former Olympic 100 metres champion Justin Gatlin continued to improve in his comeback from a doping ban when he ran 10.09 seconds on Tuesday but Caster Semenya had a 800m race to forget.

Gatlin, 28, finished second behind Jamaica's Johan Blake, who won in a time of 10.06 despite clutching his hamstring as he crossed the line.

Two false starts at the small meeting in the foothills of the Italian Dolomites upset American Gatlin's rhythm and when they finally ran he tweaked his quad. "In Padua (on Friday) I hope to go sub-10," he told reporters. "The future's good. I'm just getting ready for the world championship team. Every time I run I get faster and get more comfortable." The double 2005 sprint world champion, who tested positive for the male sex hormone testosterone and its precursor in 2006, ran 10.24 in Estonia this month in his first race back and has continued to get better.

His official personal best is 9.85 but he has run an annulled 9.77 and could challenge world and Olympic champion Usain Bolt, whose world record is 9.58, at next year's world championships and the 2012 Olympics.

Gatlin has had to pick smaller meetings because he is excluded from top European races due to a Euro Meetings recommendation not to invite athletes who have served major doping suspensions. He is, however, eligible for world championships and Olympics.

World 800m champion Semenya will have to improve even more if she is to defend her title next year after finishing ninth in Rovereto in two minutes 07.16 seconds, 6.79 seconds behind winner Elisa Cusma Piccione of Italy.

The 19-year-old South African was only cleared to compete again last month after controversial gender tests had put her career on hold since she won the world title in 2009.

Asked what had happened for such a slow time, she told reporters: "Nothing happened, it's just the game."

https://protrack.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum